Ken, what is your best advice to those of us who own = the older Vanagons (e.g., 1984)?  If I have to replace the elbow between the = throttle and the AFM anyway, it sounds like best plan would be to buy and use 2.1 AFM and 2.1 elbow.  I am not sure what you mean that = other hoses would get squeezed in the process (maybe I am missing hoses that I = should have).

John Lauterbach
Macon. GA
----- Original Message -----
From: KENWILFY@AOL.COM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 = 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: AFM 1.9l/2.1l = help?

It actually = will work (I tested this theory a couple of years ago).  However
the = 2.1l Airbox won't fit because of the hoses in the engine compartment (it =
kinda squishes up against them and I was not comfortable running this way). =
I then adapted the 1.9l airbox, but this is not as easy it is = seems.  I had
to cut that plastic housing and then fabricate my own = gasket out of gasket
material.  You also have to replace your 1.9l = Intake Air hose (that accordian
looking hose between the AFM and the = throttle body) with the 2.1l hose since
the AFM outlet is bigger for the = 2.1l.  It worked very well when I was done
however and I have these = Air Flow Meters (2.1l) for $120 new (not rebuilt- no
core).  The = rebuilt AFMs are a crap shoot from my experience and from what
customers = have experienced.  Sometimes they are great, sometimes they are =
just as messed up as the AFMs you took out (temp I is still bad, etc). =  Hope
this helps.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
John 3:16