You either have a bad direct clutch piston or the clutches are just worn out. Rebuild time. Don't continue to drive it. Major damage will result. If you are inclined you can rebuild this yourself. Go to http://www.bulkparts.com and work your way to the VW trans parts. The 010 series will get you the parts you need except for the final drive seal and the seal between the auto and final drive section. Get the center seals from VW. They have are designed to maintain some space between the two seal so that any seepage from either section can drain out the hole in the case instead of mixing together.

Good luck,
Dennis

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 12:15 AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Auto tranny problem

     I have a 1983 Vanagon with an auto tranny that is giving me some
grief.  Hoping for some words of wisdom from the knowlegable List members.
      Tranny was working just fine and recently a day or so ago began to
slip in drive, high gear only.  Check of fluid was good.  Drained and
refilled fluid and still problem exists.  All other gears are functioning
normally.  Starting out it is fine, when highway speed is reached and tranny
shifts into third or high gear it begins to slip badly.  Is there a fix in
the pan and valve area or am I looking at having to remove the tranny and
find a rebuilder ?

Cheers

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a VW Camper event in Almonte, June 7-10
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli & Associates or http://frankcondelli.com