I have a '91 Carat.  I was trying to set the timing today because it has
begun to stall when cold and when the A/C is on.  I got my Bentley out,
hooked up the timing light and read: warm up the engine, disconnect the Temp
sensor, rev the engine to 2000-2500, and set the 5 degree BTDC mark on the
pulley in line with the crack in the case.  After revving the engine, holding
the light, and turning the distributor while using only two hands, I was able
to line things up the way the book says.

The problem is that now the engine will not rev, it just stalls.  I turned
the distributor to a point where I could rev the engine, but the marks are
now way off spec.  And the engine idles at 1500 RPM.  I turned the idle
adjusting screw to the left until it stopped, to no effect.  It wasn't
running THAT bad before I started.

What am I overlooking?

Tom
'71 Westy, '85 Westy, '91 Carat