Steve,

It sounds like your master cylinder is bypassing fluid internally.  If = that's the case you have to either rebuild it or replace = it.

Chris.
-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Steven Edmundson
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 5:27 = PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Brake help needed

Van: `82 Vanagon Westfalia
Prob: Brake pedal goes to the floor when trying to stop

Ever since I got the van the pedal would SLOWLY make it's way to = the floor if preasure was not kept on it at a stop. Yeah, yeah, I SHOULD have = fixed it long ago but I didn't. Now when I push the pedal it rapidly falls to = the floor a the while making a kind of wooshing sound (like brake fluid being = pushed through a valve) coming from the master cylinder.There is no brake = fluid leaking from anywhere that i can see.  I'm guessing that the = master cylinder is in serious need of a rebuilding but wanted to get some = opinions first. Tell me what you think.

PS. I tried to use the search function but it was just taking = WAY to long (20 min and going).
_______

Stevo

My `97 GTI