= ; A few weeks ago I asked about an '83 auto tranny that was slipping in=
third gear.  Most responses I received were that the clutch plates = were most
likely fried.  After some prodding from Listee Dennis Haynes encour= aging me
to try my hand at rebuilding this tranny, I decided to have a go at it. =  I
got it out and up on the bench and started disassembly, slowly to get th= e
idea of where every thing goes and what it does.  The first/reverse= clutch
pack, Bentley pg. 38.7, was first out and all the plates looked fine. &n= bsp;Then
upon removing the forward clutch assembly, Bentley pg. 38.17, I saw the
problem. The large circlip that holds the clutch pack in the direct/reve= rse
clutch assembly is out of its place, lying loose between the rear of the=
forward clutch assembly and the front of the direct/reverse clutch assem= bly.
The first steel plate is discoloured, burnt blue, but all the rest of th= e
steel plates and fibre plates were fine as are the ones in the forward c= lutch
assembly.  Seems that for some reason the circlip holding the direc= t/reverse
clutch pack in its drum came out.  Why ?  That's the big quest= ion now.  Seems
to me I could just put everything back in its proper position and the tr= anny
would be fine.  The circlip seems to have plenty of tension.  = I guess I
should replace it and the discoloured steel plate just for security reas= ons.
But I sure would like to know what caused the circlip to come out.  = ;Will it
happen again or was this just a Vanagon fluke ?  Anyone out there w= ith some
expert advice on this issue ?  It sure would be appreciated rite ab= out now.

Cheers

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a = VW Camper camping event in Almonte, ON, June 2002
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stain= less Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli &a= mp; Associates or http://frankcondelli.com