I will agree and disagree with = you.  O-rings should be lightly lubricated with a light grease such as vasaline.  = It is a common practice to to use a sealant on paper gaskets during = installation.  The last gasket kit a bought even included a tube of green stuff just = for that purpose.  Sloopy gasket installation aided by the use of large = quantities of RTV's is a sure sign of trouble to come.
----- Original Message -----
From: Bradley = Flubacher
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 = 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: Any recommended = sealant for o-rings?

To the best of my knowledge, the ONLY things you ever need to put a = sealant on are those specifically stated in bentley.

My understanding is that when properly assembled, new o-rings and gaskets = should properly seal without any "help".

Looking for RTV or other sealants is a good way to determine = if someone knew what they were doing when they rebuilt or fixed an engine.

Hope this helps,

Bradley Flubacher
State College, PA
'82 VW = diesel westy