Volks,

I have a 1984 Westy that I have been trying to get roadworthy.  After some
work, I have gotten the engine to run smoothly but now the blinking light for
low water level comes on about 5 minutes after I crank it up and the needle
on the heat gauge pegs to the right.  If I let it cool off, there is still
air in the pressure tank.  If I release the pressure, the pressure tank
refills with water from the system.  The fumes from the pressure tank smell
like exhaust.

Is this a problem that can be fixed by doing a head job.  If it is, could I
just do the JB Weld thing to the heads and install new gaskets.  I want to
fix it cheap or do the Subaru engine transplant.

If anyone who had dealt with this problem has any knowledge to share, please
tell me what your problem was and what you did to correct it.

TIA,
John Houser, Jr.
Perry, Ga.