Hi Listers,

Thanks for the input on this subject.
I'm surprised at the variations in models of different countries. My 86
Vanagon GL Camper is Canadian. Bentley doesn't mention heaters. Went to the
local VW guy, here in town. He copied the Canadian diagram from a VW wiring
publication for me.
Auxiliary Heater BA6. Canada Only. 1985-86.
Comparing the unit to the earlier US air cooled busses, which forced heat to
the front dash area, the 86 Canadian version vents it into the rear cabin
from a rear facing grill on a stepped portion of floor and also a single
3"dia. flap behind the drivers legs.

The two heater units look the same. US version carried two stage fuel pumps.
Canadian has only one.

At least now I know what I'm looking at. Or, for.  What did confuse me,
Bentley has a section on "All Water Cooled" Heater Booster. page 82.18. The
unit is the same but with a different wiring and vent setup.
Nobody on the list use these heaters???

Brian.

only the 80-'83 air-cooled and diesel vanagons had the BA/DA-6 Eberspacher
gas/diesel heaters in the US market.
chris

In canada, 1980 - 1987 2wd vanagons got auxiallary heaters. So it was
available on water cooled vans up here. I have never seen or heard of any
van later than 1987 in canada with the eberspacher ba6 - da6.  Water cooled
vans had a dedicated rear facing vent on the floor which blew hot air
directly out of the gas heater.  Good for camping.  In 1986 I think it was
about $1200 Cdn extra as an option to get the auxiallary heater.
1986 - 1987 syncros got a coolant heater system, never seen anything later
than 1987 with one.