Sent: 28 August 2001 00:02
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Oil pressure gauge

Our 0.3 bar pressure gauge is bad.  We drove about= 200 miles with the oil pressure indicator light blinking and getting progress= ively worse but not a peep out oil pressure warning buzzer.  I made sure t= he buzzer was still operating by pulling apart the electrical connector wher= e the pressure switch leads tie into the wiring harness, revved the engine to 2= 000+ and bzzzzz.  Then I made a short jumper with 1/4" spade connectors a= nd connected the 0.9 bar switch back into the circuit.  This kept the o= il light from flickering all the way back home.  I felt safe doing this= assuming that the buzzer and oil light would warn me while driving down t= he highway above 2000 RPM.  This assumes that I don't have a massive fa= ilure of the oil cooler or filter that blocks all flow to the engine bearing.

My question is, if I can operate the vehicle without th= e 0.3 bar pressure switch connected into the circuit, why can't I just replace = that pressure switch with a sender?  Is a sender without an integrated = pressure switch small enough to fit in where the pressure switch is curre= ntly located?  Assuming I pay at least as much attention to the gauge as = I do to the red idiot light, am I putting our engine at risk by doing somethin= g like this?

Thanks,

Tom Moritz