Once loose, the switch and wires = pulled pretty easily through the fuse box opening on our '86 Westy.  The back of = our switch was very brittle and had already failed, so be careful pulling = off the wires.  The switch is no longer available from VW or any place else = I can find as a VW part but the may be available from AC shops as standard parts.

Juergen

-On my '85 the knob assembly basically pulls off.  The switch = is held in place
-with a nut just like a radio knob.

-Chuck'85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'

-In a message dated Wed, 22 Aug 2001  5:14:47 PM Eastern = Daylight Time,