Our 0.3 bar pressure gauge is bad.  We drove = about 200 miles with the oil pressure indicator light blinking and = getting progressively worse but not a peep out oil pressure warning = buzzer.  I made sure the buzzer was still operating by pulling = apart the electrical connector where the pressure switch leads tie into = the wiring harness, revved the engine to 2000+ and bzzzzz.  Then I = made a short jumper with 1/4" spade connectors and connected the = 0.9 bar switch back into the circuit.  This kept the oil light = from flickering all the way back home.  I felt safe doing this = assuming that the buzzer and oil light would warn me while driving down = the highway above 2000 RPM.  This assumes that I don't have a = massive failure of the oil cooler or filter that blocks all flow to the = engine bearing.

My question is, if I can operate the vehicle without = the 0.3 bar pressure switch connected into the circuit, why can't I = just replace that pressure switch with a sender?  Is a sender = without an integrated pressure switch small enough to fit in where the = pressure switch is currently located?  Assuming I pay at least as = much attention to the gauge as I do to the red idiot light, am I = putting our engine at risk by doing something like this?

Thanks,

Tom Moritz