I had this problem on my 86 gl.  It drove me crazy until one day I noticed the Oil breather hose was rotted, replaced it with new hose and I haven't had the problem since.

Hotch
Philly
86 GL

Jean-Guy Savoie wrote:

 # When I turn the key, everything is normal, it even kicks over, but as soon as there is life it dies!  Even if I try to give it gas. Ignition switch would be my first guess. Ground (batteries / engine / transmission / body / ECU / electrical panel)?+ terminal at the alternator? MUST be electrical, not fuel.  Good luck JGS 84 1.9L Westfalia
Bleu Schtroumpf

--
Richard Hotchkiss
http://www.hotstrings-inc.com