Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 8:36 AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Vanagon List Profiled In Washington Post Today

Don Oldenburg, = Washington Post Staff Writer who I believe is also on our list, profiles the = Vanagon List in a huge (by newspaper standards) article quoting numerous list = luminaries this morning, including Joel Walker, Steve Schwenk, yours truly, and = list founder Gerry Skerbitz. There is even a giant picture of current = listmaster Tom Carrington and a picture of his daughter climbing into his vanagon = pickup.

In giant quotes that scream off the page Carrington says, = "Vanagons appeal to independent thinkers who don't feel the need to drive a car = that fits in with the crowd." That's the good way of putting it. Then, in = equally accurate but thankfully smaller type he says, "Let's face it. We are = sick, sick, sick individuals. There is something about this Vanagon = obsession that makes us act a bit goofy."

I burst out laughing when the = article mentioned the silver socket -- to see that phrase actually taking up = space in the Washington Post.

The URL where the article resides today = is here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16710-2= 001Aug29.html

Derek = Drew           &nb= sp;           &nbs= p;      New York, NY & Washington, DC
=
derekdrew@rcn.com                  &= nbsp;  212-580-6486
Email me for viscous couplings
'90 Syncro Westfalia...
...seen off-road at
http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/Syncro_Madness_Area.htm=
Note: most valuable Vanagon sites on the planet (for owners) = are:
      http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon
      ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro
      http://www.vanagon.com
      http://www.syncro.org
My refrigerator article:
       http://www.vanagon.com/info/articles/Refrigerator/Reef= er_Madness.htm
My article that shows how to deal with insurance companies: =
       ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/auto-insurance-madness.htm= l
To view Wolfgang's incredibly informative wheel article
       http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/fitbigtiresonvanagon.ht= m
To view Tim Smith's incredibly useful gearing calculator
       http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/syncrotireandgearratios= .xls
To view some 16" Trailing Arms that enable much larger tires = see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syncro-org/files/Wheels%= 2C%20Tires%20%26%20Gearing/Wheel%20%26%20Tire%20Photos/16_Inch_Trailing_A= rm.jpg
         &nb= sp;