I was on my way from Fred= ericksburg, VA to Morehead City, NC to spend the
week at the beach in NC.  We were going to pull off and camp (catch a = nap) in
Rocky Mount, NC tonight.  My girlfriend was driving because I was
zonked...2am.   She has only driven the Westy once before...so she i= s not
real adept with the shifter.  Well she passed the road we wanted to tu= rn on,
so she had to put it in reverse.  I helped her.  After we backed up = she
couldn't find first...so I tried to help her as she yanked the gear shif= t
around.  She doesn't like being helped.....

Well long story short - the shifter linkage came out of the ball socket = at
the transmission.  Now I'm stuck at the holiday inn in Rocky Mount,= NC.

My questions are:

1) Are there any pins or mechanical parts that might have sheared and ne= ed
replacing to put the ball socket linkage (at the transmission) back toge= ther,
or is it purely a mechanical connection.

2) Do you have any tips for putting it back together?  I tried, but I
couldn't get it to match up and was afraid I might do more damage than g= ood.
 Also, it was very tight being at ground level.

3) Lastly do you know anyone in the area that could help?  Rocky Mount= is
about 1.5hrs South East of Durham.  (Exit 141 on I-95)  I remember a= guy that
is very active  on the list that is Durham, but I haven't been active = myself
for a couple years, so I don't have his number or email.

Thanks again,
Scott Sackin
84 Westy
Stuck somewhere in NC...not the beach....