In a message dated 9/5/20= 01 6:01:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Re: Exhaust Question

      Hi Raul, the way to dampen the stress b= etween the joints is as we do
with the STEBRO/Vana= gon Stainless Steel Exhaust System.  We use a fibre
doughnut gasket, between the joints, with a steel insert which is about = 1/2"
longer than the thickness of the doughnut gasket allowing 1/4" to protru= de
from either end.  The fibre gasket reduces the vibration stress bet= ween the
joints and the metal inset keeps the gasket from being dislocated and fr= om
undue compression which causes the flange bolts to loosen and the fibre
gasket to then burn up form escaping hot exhaust gases.  The fibre = doughnut
gaskets are readily available and any FLAPS and any muffler shop can cut= and
install the inserts for you.  The bolts should not have any type of= spring
locking washer but instead should have a locking nut.  We have been=
unsuccessful in finding all metal SS locking nuts and have been using SS=
nylock ones with success.  Seems the nylon melts and keeps the nut = from
coming loose.  They of course cannot be reused one taken apart, so = you should
get yourself extras just in case.

Cheers

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a VW C= amper camping event in Almonte, ON, June 2002
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless= Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli & = Associates or http://frankcondelli.com