The Americans by Gordon Sinclair

Currently, rushing around the US/wolrd on the WWW, there is a an abbreviate= d version of a 1973 radio broadcast from Gordon Sinclair.  The version = I received (3 times) looks as if it is a current event from this weeks Canad= ian Newspapers.

It is inspirational and the full original version is (IMHO) even more so. &= nbsp;I have also added a real audio version that will allow you to hear the = radio broadcast.

more on sinclair and the history of this story can be found at <http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/schools/rta/ccf/news/unique/ameri= can.html>

Forward this to anyone you wish.
--
Sincerely,
EJS

This = page contains Audio links, designated by:
The RealAudio player is necessary to listen to
 these files. Click
= here to download t= he player.  =

News Broadcasting - "Unique Stori= es"

"The Americans" - Origin= al Script

(Listen to the original audio<= /B>) <http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/schools/r= ta/ccf/news/unique/american.ram>

"LET'S BE PERSONAL"    Broadcast June 5, 1973     CFRB, Toronto, = Ontario

Topic: "The Americans"

The United States dollar took another pounding on German, French and Britis= h exchanges this morning, hitting the lowest point ever known in West German= y. It has declined there by 41% since 1971 and this Canadian thinks it is ti= me to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least= -appreciated people in all the earth.

As long as sixty years ago, when I first started to read newspapers, I read= of floods on the Yellow River and the Yangtse. Who rushed in with men and m= oney to help? The Americans did.

They have helped control floods on the Nile, the Amazon, the Ganges and the= Niger. Today, the rich bottom land of the Misssissippi is under water and n= o foreign land has sent a dollar to help. Germany, Japan and, to a lesser ex= tent, Britain and Italy, were lifted out of the debris of war by the America= ns who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. No= ne of those countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining deb= ts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans wh= o propped it up and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the stre= ets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When distant cities are hit by earthquakes, it is the United States that hu= rries into help... Managua Nicaragua is one of the most recent examples. So = far this spring, 59 American communities have been flattened by tornadoes. N= obody has helped.

The Marshall Plan .. the Truman Policy .. all pumped billions upon billions= of dollars into discouraged countries. Now, newspapers in those countries a= re writing about the decadent war-mongering Americans.

I'd like to see one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of= the United States dollar build its own airplanes.

Come on... let's hear it! Does any other country in the world have a plane = to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tristar or the Douglas 10? If so= , why don't they fly them? Why do all international lines except Russia fly = American planes? Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man= or women on the moon?

You talk about Japanese technocracy and you get radios. You talk about Germ= an technocracy and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy = and you find men on the moon, not once, but several times ... and safely hom= e again. You talk about scandals and the Americans put theirs right in the s= tore window for everyone to look at. Even the draft dodgers are not pursued = and hounded. They are here on our streets, most of them ... unless they are = breaking Canadian laws .. are getting American dollars from Ma and Pa at hom= e to spend here.

When the Americans get out of this bind ... as they will... who could blame= them if they said 'the hell with the rest of the world'. Let someone else b= uy the Israel bonds, Let someone else build or repair foreign dams or design= foreign buildings that won't shake apart in earthquakes.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through a= ge, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad an= d the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both a= re still broke. I can name to you 5,000 times when the Americans race= d to the help of other people in trouble.

Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in t= rouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco e= arthquake.

Our neighbours have faced it alone and I am one Canadian who is damned tire= d of hearing them kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their= flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the l= ands that are gloating over their present troubles.

I hope Canada is not one of these. But there are many smug, self-righteous = Canadians. And finally, the American Red Cross was told at its 48th Annual m= eeting in New Orleans this morning that it was broke.

This year's disasters .. with the year less than half-overŠ has taken it al= l and nobody...but nobody... has helped.

ORIGINAL SCRIPT A= ND AUDIO
COURTESY STANDARD BROADCASTING CORPORATION LTD.

(c) 1973 BY GORDON SINCLAIR
PUBLISHED BY STAR QUALITY MUSIC (SOCAN)
A DIVISION OF UNIDISC MUSIC INC.
578 HYMUS BOULEVARD