My Weddle tranny has the 4.57 and the .77 4th gear but stock = everything else(did I mention it's a 4 sp.?).  RPM drop between 3>4 is = about 1400.  If had to do over, I'd bellied up and put a little taller = 3rd gear in it for better passing in the 50-65mph range.  The half lilley = motor craves 5k now that it's loosening up a bit.  My wallet doesn't = crave the 5k as much.

DM&FS
----- Original Message -----
From: Gary Stearns
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Friday, September 14, = 2001 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: weddle 5 speed = tranny

We installed the Weddle 5 spd about a month ago. We = went with "stock" unchanged ratios.  This only cuts the top gear rpms = by a few hundred.  In this config. it's not an = "overdrive".  It does however cut the rpm drop between gears alot allowing the = engine to stay nearer the peak of it's power curve.  Weddle does have = options for a taller 5th gear or taller final drive. Yeah, it is a lot = of $, but to me it has been worth it.

Gary