I = recently bought an '87 Silver/grey as yet unnamed Westfalia, and love it. = I've been reading the owners list emails, and am surprised at the attention = Vegemite is getting. I was reared on Vegemite and lettuce sandwiches, = the taste and smell of which still press enormous memory buttons. Both = Vegemite and Marmite are made from a waste product from beer, which could = explain why 99% of Australians are hooked on it from an early age. Here's a bit I found on http://cstl-cla.semo= .edu/zeller/vegmite.htm that may be of interest to Vanagon owners: "An article in the Toledo = Blade published on 23 January 1987 reported back from Perth to America = that Vegemite has 'the thick consistency of axle grease'. The reporter, Steve = Pollick, Toledo Blade's Outdoors Editor, continues:

It smells like a can of rusty nails, and tastes salty and = yeasty--at best--or maybe like a bloody lip or an inadvertently bitten tongue. It = definitely is an acquired taste, yet 15 million Australians consume = something like 4,500 tons of it a year . . . Now the stuff supposedly can be = found in 9 out of 10 Australian households.

In Canada, you'll = find Vegemite in the import section of most large supermarkets.

I have a question: Recently, when I = pulled in to two propane filling stations in the Victoria British Columbia area, = neither attendant could fill the propane tank under my Westfalia. I was = told that the angle was wrong, and they couldn't fit the nozzle to the = "tap."  They suggested jacking up the van to allow for better access for = the filler hose. Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know of a = station in this area that will fill my propane tank, sans fuss and bother? =
Here's a tip for repairing a = mosquito net:
There was a large horizontal rip in = the front pop-top mosquito net. I cut the net out, leaving an inch of = old netting all the way around. I used the ripped piece as a pattern to cut = a new piece of netting, adding one inch on all sides (cost about $4.00 Cdn, = i.e. nothing), then, standing in the van with the top up, hand stitched it in = place (two rows of stitching, with the old net turned back once) . Looks = perfect. And there are no worries about glue breaking down, etc.

As this is my first visit, I'll = include a link to a photo of my van on its inaugural trip: http://www.photo-j.com/west= falia.htm
Nice to join the list.
Cheers
Tricia T.