I'm back, safe and sound, af= ter putting on 3000 trouble free km on our '87 Westy.  We got into Shaw= inigan Falls Friday September 07 and found ourselves in paradise.  The = tree covered campgrounds "Parc des Chutes Shawinigan" on Melville Island in = the Sainte-Maurice River was within walking distance of downtown Shawinigan = so we had nature at our camper doors and access to supplies without moving t= he vehicle.  PERFECT !  VW vans of all persuasions were already th= ere and kept rolling in through Saturday evening.  When the final count= was tallied late Saturday evening there were just over 400.  A mere 75= less that at last years event in Omerville.  No idea why as the weathe= r was perfect, just like the middle of July, hot and humid, maybe it was due= to the location being a bit off the beaten trail.  I saw many folks ju= mping in the river for early morning swims with the steam rising from the su= rface as the sun came up and warmed the surroundings.
      Saturday night under the Big Top we all= gathered for dining, door prizes and music until way after midnight.  = The IWCCC's Camping Car Club Band played a wide selection of music but when = they got into renditions of CCR's Proud Mary, etc., I went nuts and Rita and= I were up dancing just like years ago.  The 50-50 draw of some $700 we= nt to some lucky camper other that Rita or I.  Better luck next time ! =  I had given ten BusFusion T-shirts as door prizes and Sunday they were in evidence all= through the campgrounds.  There was much interest in BusFusion and we = expect an even larger gathering for BusFusion 2002, so make your plans now. =
      Sunday, at 9 am a mass was held under t= he Big Top followed by the general annual meeting of the IWCCC were one of the items discusse= d is of importance to all of you reading this.  In the summer of 2003 t= he IWCCC is attempting to organise a week long VW Camper camping event on Ma= deline Island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence off the coast of Prince Edward Isl= and (get your maps out and you will see why this is interesting) for the clu= bs 10th anniversary.  They would like to break their own Guinness Recor= d, Guinness World Records. - Record Home Page, of = 500 VW camper vans and an event.  So make your plans now and let the IW= CCC know of your intentions to participate !
      We stayed in Shawinigan through Sunday = evening taking the one hour boat tour on the Sainte-Maurice River around the= islands and town of Shawinigan.  It was great and I highly recommend i= t if you go there.  Monday morning we started packing and headed slowly= for Brunswick, Maine and LiMBO's Buses By The Buoy.  We got to and cro= ssed the border into Maine Tuesday just before the horrible attack on New Yo= rk and were unaware of the events until we turned on our radio some 10 miles= into Maine.  We were absolutey stunned with disbelief.  Driving f= rom then on in a dream like trance we keep going until we got to Thomas Poin= t Beach sometime late Tuesday afternoon.  There was no one at the campg= rounds except for the custodian.  After finding out that our $25 a nigh= t camping fee did not include showers, they must be paid for at the rate of = $.25/ two minutes as your showering, Rita got very upset and we cancelled ou= r reservations and went elsewhere looking for a more hospitable campground. =  We found one at Meadowbrook Campgrounds, a few miles up the road for $= 20, showers included, and they were offering fresh cooked lobsters for dinne= r.  We bought two, and steamed corn, had diner and went to bed listenin= g to the sad unbelievable reports coming over the radio waves.  In the = morning after much deliberation and sadness we decided it best to head for h= ome where we had left our daughter April and be with her if things got any w= orse which we were sure they would.  Driving all day Wednesday feeling = really badly and not able to enjoy ourselves nor the surrounding country we = got home around 9 pm.  It was then that we had the first chance to see = pictures on the TV of what had occurred.  We were in shock again but gl= ad to be home.  I believe the BBTB event was held and I hope they all h= ad a grand time and maybe we will be able to get together at that event some= time in the future. Sorry about not leaving the BusFusion T-shirt door priz= es behind but they were not on our minds at the time.

      Meanwhile we spent the rest of our vaca= tion at home.  Back to work with heavy hearts tomorrow.

Peace

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a VW C= amper camping event in Almonte, ON, June 2002
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless= Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli & = Associates or http://frankcondelli.com