I rented a ball joint press to do this = on my first Vanagon. And then when it came time to do it on my baja bug, I went out = and bought one ($150). So, when it came time to replace the ball joints on = the second Vanagon, I already had the right tool.
I am willing to lend my ball-joint = press to anyone in the Twin Cities (MN) area, and maybe even help since I have done this = twice now.
One more important thing to remember = when doing the lower ball joint is to remove the ring from the groove on the bottom.
Peace out,
Peder
'84 Westy