I too have been using Mobil 1 for years.  The '92 Jetta GLi has 168,000 and runs like new.  Engine has never been opened.  It gets changed every 5 - 7,000.  The Vanagon Waterboxer had problems unrelated to oil but also was Mobil 1 changed at 5 - 7,000.  At 2nd rebuild time, approx. 65,000 mi. when I  took the heads off, it looked like new. Cylinder bores showed almost no wear.  The Vanagon just got it's TiiCo conversion.  Using dino oil 'til about 5k when thoroughly broken in.  Then nothing but Mobil 1!

Gary

-------Original Message-------

From: Jon Kanas
Date: Monday, September 17, 2001 11:13:56 PM
Subject: Synthetic Oil

Good Day Everyone,

Kim and I have both changed employers recently, which has reduced our
commutes significantly. As a result I have changed my Vanagon, Mercedes
300TE and Subaru to Mobil 1. My habit has been to change oil every 3K
miles, and the Subaru was the first to reach 3K on the Mobil 1. I
pulled the dipstick, and the oil is absolutely beautiful, clear and
gold. In the interest of not wasting money or resources, I decided to
let it go awhile longer before changing it. For those of you using
Mobil1 or other synthetic oil, how long are you running between oil
changes?

Please respond directly to me as well as to the list as I don't always
make it through all the digests every day.

--
Best Regards to all,
Jon B Kanas

Boulder County Colorado:
194249 sq Hectares surrounded by reality.
Working hard to keep it this way