I have an 86 vanagon and it has started = leaking antifreeze. My mechanic says that the right head is corroded and needs = to be replaced to the tune of $2600. He said he would replace the left head = also while he was in there. I asked him for a price for replacing the engine. He = said with getting a rebuilt 2.1 L engine from Bus Depot the total cost would be = about $2400. None of which I can afford at this time. He did mention one other = option which he would not guarantee. That would be sandblasting and = sanding the heads and applying a special sealant to them. This would be at a cost of = $500-600, mostly for shop time. He did the same work for a friend of his = a few weeks ago and the van has been running well without any leaking. Is this = a viable option

Do I have any other options at = this point? The engine has a little over 100,000 miles and has been little problem for = me for over 3 years. What factors do I need to consider to evaluate whether I = should spend this money or not.

Thanks in advance for your = help.

Marie Whitehead =