Hi everyone.  I was reading some of the threads about the = short shift kits for the Vanagon and how most people didn't like where the stock = shifter is.  When I bought my bus, the owner told me that it had a short = shift kit in it.  The throws don't seem particularly short, but then again my = shifter sounds like it is easier to reach than the folks with stock shifters say = it is.  Perhaps I have a longer shifter handle to go with the shift = kit?  Here's a picture:  http://photos.yahoo.= com/bc/ctbtyper/vwp?.dir=/Race+Bus&.dnm=4.jpg&.src=ph&.= view=t&.hires=t

The only Vanagon I've ever driven is mine, and the only other = Vanagon I've sat in (since being a kid, that is) was an auto, so I have never seen a = stock shifter.  When I'm in 3rd gear, if I rest my hand on the knob and = stick my fingers straight forward, they hit the very bottom of the radio (mine's = a 1984 - don't know if the dash changed later).  Does that sound closer than = normal?  I'm just curious since I'm not a big person and I've never = felt like I had to reach far for the gear lever.  I can shift with my = elbow on the arm rest - I'm only 5'6", so my arms aren't *that* long.  = Thanks!

Chris