OK, here is = the deal.  I am still very frustrated with the power output of my stock = 82 westy.  It just has such a lack of both acceleration & top end power.  I am not looking for a rocket ship.  I was very = content with my 76 westy with the same engine.  Almost all hills in the PDX area = are 3 gear below 50MPH events.  The van will do 70MPH but it really does = not like it.  65MPH is where it seems to want to drive.  I can live = with that most of the time.  With my 76, there was very few hills around here = that I had to downshift for.  65 was the norm.  What I am really = looking for is some one in the PDX area to come & take my van for a drive & = compare it to their air-cooled van.  Since this is the only Vanagon I have = ever had, I have no frame of reference.  Let me know what you all = think.  Thanks.  BTW, except for the power, I love the = Vanagon.

Pat Callaghan
82 Westy
Portland, OR.
www.cybcon.com/~patcal<= /DIV>