There is a whole list of things to check = and although it is time consuming it isn't that difficult.
If you have old= vacuum lines that are hard or loose it might be best to start there.You also need = to be sure that the vacuum lines are hooked up right.
Check the compression, should be at lest = 75-130 on each cylinder, 80 Psi is about the rebuild signal but I've seen them run = with 65 psi.(Best checked hot but cold wit a squirt of oil will give you the balance.)
Check the AFM with an ohms meter. If you = adjust the AFM, screw down is richer, back the screw out is leaner. There is no = specified turn count, it varies for altitude and condition of your engine.
Also check the following items, you will = need the specs from a Bentleys manual that I no longer have.
= Engine Temperature Sensor Part # 0.280.130.012
<= FONT size=2>Auxiliary Air Valve Part # 0.280.140.101
Thermo time = switch. Part # 0.280.130.214,
Double Relay (= sometimes call combi relay) Relay #071-906-059 Left, 0-332-54-129 Right,
Fuel pump pressure minimum 28 psi
Check the Injector ground wires under the air distribution box.
Pressure = Regulator (vacuum Limiter) Part # 0.280.160.100
Resistor Unit Part # 0.280.159.0010
Check your = timing 7.5 Degrees at 800-900 rpm.
Check your = timing at full advance about 32/42 degrees at 2500-3200 RPM
If all of these= things check out to specification limits:
Check the = injectors for fuel flow and electrical operation.
Reset your = hydraulic lifters for one turn down from just touching the rocker arm to the = valve stem.
Since you just = got the van I'd check to make sure that you have the right spark coil, spark wires,= rotor, spark plugs and that the vacuum canister on the distributor is = working. I've seen wrong spark plug insulators (wire to plug end that were wrong).
You should have= solid core spark plug wires.
The resistor = wires should be connected good, not frayed or loose.(I've seen vans run with one = wire off)
All injectors = fire at the same time so don't hesitate to pull them off to clean your connections.= (you can't put them back wrong).
Disconnect your= battery before you unplug the ECU to clean or inspect the terminals.
Thats about all= I can tell you at this point. My 83 Westfalia Air-Cooled runs 70-75 without = any problems other than the harder I run it the hotter the engine gets, but I'm= 1500 pounds heavier than your van.
Watch out for = Jake Raby he's got you on his engine buyers list. (just kidding Jake).

Stan Wilder
83 Westfalia Air-Cooled