Rio wrote =

>I will probably be = rebuilding my 1.9 waterboxer and will have to consider
>the camshaft. I can't = find specifications for *lobe lift* and other cam
>specs to be sure my = cam has not worn excessively.
>Can someone advise?
>Also, does = anyone have experience with regrinding a stock cam? (good, bad,
>indifferent...)

Reo
 The lift is not as big a = problem with a used cam as keeping the lifters rotating can be. The WBX 1.9 .2.1 cams = unlike most automotive camshafts is flat across the top when new and the lifter = have some bevel but not a full convex face this helps keep the lifter turning as the lobe = sweeps across the face of the lifter

The lift at the push rod for the intake varies but the = new oem 1.9 cam I have in stock has a lift for the intake at the lifter of .290 = ths and the exhaust lift at the lifter is .265 ths this is the same as the bug = profile from 1961 threw 1979. The 2.1 WBX cam intake lift at the lifter is .326 = ths and the exhaust lift at the lifter is .315 ths. The 2.1 cam also has = about 20 Degrees more duration than the bug - 1.9 cam measured at .040 = ths lift. this might sound like a good upgrade at first but the 2.1 thas = more compression and if used might take away some low end and mid range power. the reason im told is that the increased duration bleeds of = some compression

I use and stock reground 1.9 2.1 cams and also = the famous lilley grind. this cam has a very small amount more duration = than stock and a couple of ths less lift and is a good add on when doing = some head work. the price of a stock reground cam is $75 and the lilley = cam is $95 the lilley cam has high side and a low side to the lobe and a = special lifter profile is required

The biggest problem you will be faced with is the lack = of German main bearings for the 1.9. there is more than one maker of after market = rear main bearings for this engine. they are made of aircraft quality = aluminum and I have not heard of anybody that's used them encountering = any problems to this point. I have inspected and measured a couple of rear = mains from 2 different makers and find that the sizing is ok for the = most part but needs to be checked every time. I have some sets of these = main bearings in stock at $99

the other thing that needs close attention paid to it = is the bearing bore size the 1.9 cases are known for loosing the crush on = the bearing after years of service. The crush is important for three = reasons it holds the bearing tight in the case it helps maintain hot oil = pressure and its important in heat dissipation. I have found the need to = alignbore almost every 1.9 case in order to get the right bearing = fit.

there is more to rebuilding an engine than taking it = apart and throwing in some new parts in as you reassemble and reseal the engine and that more is Clearances Clearances Clearances

as always all rights reserved

Bob Donalds

  http://www.bostonengine.com = ;