The engine is fine, the gasket must = have been replaced though.  I guess.  The engine can go for an othe = hundred, I think, if it was in good hands, even longer.
Zoltan
----- Original Message -----
From: Jermide
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Sunday, September 30, = 2001 8:37 PM
Subject: purchase of an 85 = GL

Advise, please.

I am close to buying an 85 GL. It is = in good to very good condition. No rust. No damage. No smoke. No = electriquirks. NO LEAKS! Runs strong and smooth. 75mph on the highway. However, the = original engine has 187,000 miles to date. The seller says = it has not been rebuilt or replaced. The price is $1700.

He was a certified VW master = tech for 15 years. He has owned the van for 11 years. Garaged and = maintained. He seems to have a lot of confidence in it.

What is a good guess at the percentage of original engines lasting this long in this = condition? Should I be very worried, or just a little?

Thanks,
Jeremy