Thanks to all who gave advice on the power steering pump whine problem with a customer's 84 Vanagon.  Apparantly it was the power steering hose that had been made up by the local hydraulics shop that was causing the problem.  I replaced it with the larger diameter standard hose (used) and it is quiet at last.  I have gotten hydraulic hoses made up before without this problem, but the shop I go to uses the larger diameter hose for the high side and smaller hose for the low side.  I have no idea who made this hose up but they apparently didn't know what they were doing.
I really appreciate the List and all the help that I have gotten from it.

I think the best advice I can give anyone on this List is never be afraid to ask for help or advice if you need it.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com