Those sound like suitable wheels, but there is one = big question: what weight can they take? Does Discount Tire provide = specs? Alternatively, what vehicle were the wheels  designed for, = and what does that weigh compared to a Vanagon at full gross = weight?

The only real advanage to alloys for Vanagon is = looks. Steel wheels are more malleable, so if they are damaged they are = easier to repair.

Please let us know what you find out. Syncro owners = particularly are on the lookout for a 15" steel wheel that can = take the weight of a vanagon.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Silverman [mailto:jsilver@AROS.NET]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 8:53 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: 15" wheel and tire ?s

One of Vic's (90 syncro westy) Yokohama Y370s has a = bubble, and Discount
tire is having a hard time finding a replacement = (the tires are about 2 1/2
yrs-20,000 miles old, and have been rotated).  = This makes me think that I'd
have more tire options if I had 15" = wheels.  Thus, several ?s:

Steel or alloy?- Discount Tire can get me a steel = 15x6 wheel, 112 mm bolt
pattern, 35mm offset, basic black, for $35 each, = which seems like a pretty
good deal.  What's the advantage to an alloy = wheel?

What size tire- I've seen notes on everything from = 215-235, and others in
between,  I'm looking for better crosswind = stability, wider tire selection
(in choices, not width of tire), and bolt on fit (on = the ground and in the
spare well).

I don't seem to be able to find the vanagon.com pages = on this stuff, so
thanks for your help!!!
John
SLC
90 syncro westy, Tiico powered