In a message dated 10/11/2001 3:13:46 PM Eastern Daylight Ti= me, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

exhaust leak and leaking heads?= ?

       Jenny, If you plan to keep that '87 Wes= ty of yours I highly recommend that you install a stainless steel system.&nb= sp; The best scenario is to get the STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Muffler & J-pipe.  P= lease click on the highlighted link which will take you to our website where= you will find complete technical details, pictures of our muffler and j-pip= e, pricing, ordering instructions, and customer reviews.  Our Muffler a= nd J-pipe are guaranteed for life.  There is a 5% Vanagon List member d= iscount which you must ask for when placing your order.
       For the header pipes I recommend you go= with the DANSK stainless steel ones that only The Bus Depot - Discount VW Parts - Main Menu sells.  These= DANSK made header pipes do not have the flanges or the support brackets mad= e from stainless, only the tubing is stainless.  There is no warranty f= rom DANSK but the Bus Depot will give you a six month warranty.  I have= had a set of these on my '87 Westy since June of 2000 when they first becam= e available.  I have also installed many sets on my customer's Vanagons= along with the STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Muffler & J-pipe.  T= his combination is performing perfectly in all cases.  I believe The Bu= s Depot will give you a 5% Vanagon List member discount which you must also = ask for.
       The CAT you can get through most local = quality auto parts or from the Bus Depot if you need it.
       The cast iron collector piece can be ha= d from the Bus Depot for a good price.
       The header studs/bolts that your mechan= ic is speaking of is a known problem.  Most always some if not all of t= hem will break and require drilling and tapping and sometimes helicoil inser= tion to get new treads back that will hold your header securely to the heads= without leaking.  I recommend using bolts in all locations instead of = studs.  I have in some instances enlarged the threads in the head to ta= ke 1/2" bolts instead of the 14 mm that are original.  If you use the l= arger bolts you will need to enlarge the holes in the header flanges and gas= kets.  In all cases make sure the holes in the flanges are a bit larger= than the bolts your using so there will be no lateral stress on the flange.=   Use stainless steel bolts, flat washers and lock washers with anti-si= eze compound on the bolt threads.  If the bolts break at the front of t= he engine then they can be repaired without removing the heads or engine.&nb= sp; BUT, if the bolts break at the back of the engine then the heads or engi= ne will have to be removed to do the repair as there is virtually no room th= ere to work effectively.
       This is now a good time to mention your= possible head leak problem.  If it is found that the heads are leaking= , which is VERY common, then it may be best to remove the engine and have th= e head leak problem repaired and do the header bolt repair at the same time.=   It would be best in this instance to have helicoils inserted in all e= ight locations of the header flange stud/bolts.
       This would be a good time to make sure = the cooling tins that cover the push rod tubes are in good condition as they= are attached to the header flange bolts and it would not be economical to h= ave to go under there again to remove and install those header flange bolts = again to get those cooling tins replaced.
       Good luck with your project and if I ca= n be of any further assistance please contact me.

Peace

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a VW C= amper camping event, Almonte, ON, May 30, 31, June 1, 2, 2002
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless= Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli & = Associates or http://frankcondelli.com