I have noticed that some Vanagons (actually I have only seen one '87 Wolfsburg) have this air intake setup with the ducting, while most do not.  Does anyone have a clue as to what years they did this and why some vans have it and others don't?  I am pretty positive my '91 Carat does not have this setup.  You would think it is a good idea as far as getting the coolest air possible for the intake.  But then you have the possibility of this happening (problems with long air duct run).  Any comments?

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com