Idamagedmine = some time ago, but didn't know until I removed the tail light to clean the idle = stabilizer control that I saw what i had done. So I removed that crap from there = and went to Pep Boys and bought a flexible wire reinforced air intake hose, and = took care of that. My fault, though.

Hector
----- Original Message -----
From: Frank = Condelli
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Saturday, October 13, = 2001 3:50 AM
Subject: Engine power = loss

       = Well, just when you thought you knew everything there was to know about these = Vanagons, something new crops up.  I've been on this List since its = beginnings, work on them for a living, and yesterday came across something I've = never seen talked about here before nor have I come across it in my shop.  = For the last month or so my '87 Westy seemed to be loosing power.  It = would not achieve more than 120 km/hr on a flat road and acceleration was not = what it had been.  With over 350,000 km on its original engine I began = thinking thoughts of Tiico swap.  Did a compression test, fuel pump test, = air flow meter test and all seemed normal.  The engine starts up just fine = and idles perfectly.  When revved up standing still it seemed = fine.  So yesterday I start looking again for something.  Thought maybe the = CAT was blocked somehow but that was hard to imagine as the guts of the CAT = have been ! removed a long time ago.  Some small fire proof rodent got in = there ?  The exhaust seemed fine so what the hell goes on here ?  = So, while revving up the engine from the engine compartment yesterday, all = of a sudden I notice that the rubber boot between the throttle valve and = the air filter housing is collapsing when revving up the engine.  Humm, = not getting air, but I just checked the air filter and it was fine.  Sooooooo........I start following the air intake track to the = outside.  Well, friends, that really well German engineered PAPER and wire flex = ducting that goes up inside the right rear quarter of our vans to allow air to = be sucked into the engine had deteriorated to the point it had collapsed = and had now blocked solid the air intake track !  Engine was trying to = suck in what was left of this fine piece of PAPER flex ducting.  Ripped = it all out of there which was a major PITA as you gotta remove the right tail = lamp assembly, a! nd the cheapo plastic firewall that has the air intake = passing through it.  Then rip out the plastic tube which connects to this = crapo paper flex tube.  After I got that all outa there I went for a = spin over to the local Home Hardware to look for some quality ducting that maybe = could be used to "upgrade" this genuine VW piece of crap.  Now the = Westy's running like she used to.  Plenty if power, well not plenty but = you know, like it used to be anyways.  So, at the hardware I find some 4" = diameter aluminium flex ducting for home use or in my case automotive = use.  Take this home and spend the next hour getting it squashed oval so it will = get on up inside the wall of the van and connect to the plastic intake piece = located behind that black plastic grill thingy on the right rear outside of = the van.  Bet you didn't know that was in there !  Ha !  = Never over 'till it over !  Something new everyday.  Vanagons provide a = lifetime learning experience.  Now what other vehicle can give = you this ki! nd of enjoyment ?  A Fiat perhaps ?

Peace =

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a = VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, May 30, 31, June 1, 2, 2002
'87 Westy = & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon = List, LiMBO, IWCCC & = Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa = Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon = Stainless Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli = & Associates or http://frankcondelli.com