Tom Stone wrote:
My '91 Carat with manual transmission is running great with one exception. When driving in traffic and I take my foot off the accelerator but have the clutch engaged, the car bucks as if the engine is getting varying amounts of fuel.  A for instance is when I'm stopped at a light and want to creep up toward the car in front in anticipation of a light change, it bucks.  As soon as I give it a little gas, it smoothes out, no problem.

Any idea what causes this?

In my case it was the idle stabilizer valve. I found that by resetting the engine idle ( engine warm, ISV disconnected) and cleaning up the connections, the problem went away. However, the Idle Stabilizer control, that electronic box behind the righthand brake light, may have to be removed and re-installed. if that doesn't do it, further sleuting must be accomplished.

John Rodgers
88 GL Driver