There have been several scenarios discussed.
One person having the same problem had a pilot bushing that had disintegrated.
Another person had the plastic ball guides worn out.
Another person had the linkage askew.
Still another had a clutch slave cylinder that was bleeding down when= stopped at red lights with the clutch depressed.
Take your choice:

Stan Wilder