55 in a 45 in the Vanagon, the Idaho state patrol let me off with a = warning. I told him I was try
to build up speed for the 8 miles of 6% grade up ahead, and since I = had the entire van full
of bags of stove pellets, he went for it.
My job is to tune and repair motorcycles that are very very fast. I = had a Ducati 900ss in the shop
that had a hestitation at about 6500 rpm with the engine under = load. I was trying to duplicate the
problem the customer was having and ended up getting a 72 mph in a = 35 mph ticket, this was from
a cop that three days earlier gave me a lecture because he said it "sounded" like I was speeding
on another bike.
When I got the 72 in the 35, I was in first gear and just = acelerated and let off, didn't think I
even went that fast, and only did it for a few feet.
Last year my whole team was coming home from motorcycle road racing = at SIR in Seattle.
I was working in Idaho at the time so we were driving I-90. The = speedo in the Vanagon was not working
so I was just watching the tach and keeping it at around 4000. One = of our racers was in his GTI
and there was a big ford truck with a 32 foot trailer. For some = reason I caught up to everyone and
passed them. The next day they said I was doing like 85 the whole = way. I only slowed down when
the proximity alarm on my scanner would indicated a police radio = frequency with in 3 miles, and every
time I did, I would see a cop.
David