Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 5:27 PM

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

Subject: Squeeky shifter and squeeky front = suspension

Volks,

Here in SC the temps dropped in the low 40's a couple nights in a = row, and a

long with all that, a few new idiosyncrasies on the = van.

1981 vanagon, 4 speed.

First off, the shifter  is really squeaky.  It is like = metal on metal.

Operates fine though.....I greased it back by the tranny and it = still

squeaks!  What is up?

Also, the springs or ball joints are squeaky.  I figure i will = get one of

those needle things for my grease gun and shoot some grease in the = boots.  I

can literally push down on the front end and get squeaking.  = Maybe shocks?

Any advice is appreciated!

Adam P

81 westy (3 of them)

74 beetle