Bill,
I did my swap in 1995 before the Tiico kit was a vailable. The kit or = some of the essential components would make it very fast compared to converting = from the original Diesel to a 91 FI Golf(Jetta ame difference) engine.

If you were to do a Tiico even though you already have the hardware = from your present Diesel to do a "scratch " swap like i did, you could sell your= Diesel hardware and use the nice shiny new Tiico stuff, much of which is = the same.
There are variances though , like installing on a automatic, which = only requires an adapter plate.

SInce your Diesel has manual trans, at the time of the swap it is = better to change over from the Diesel trans to a Air-cooled Vanagon trans rather than= a WBX trans for these main reasons:

1. The shift rod at the transmission end lines up with the Air-cooled(80-83) Vanagon trans. If you use a WBX trans, you have to = lengthen the shift rod about 6 inches.
2. The 80-83 Vanagon trans has a better final drive ratio (.457) as = opposed to the lower geared WBX- (.483)  years 1983.5-1991.

In order to adapt the 80-83 trans to work with the Tiico or do-it-= yourself kit, you need to save these things from the Diesel trans and install them = on the 80-83 trans:
Pilot shaft
Front mount
Clutch slave cylinder bracket
Bellhousing(if doing your own kit).

What I am not sure of is if the Tiico adaptor plate fits on the air-= cooled vanagon trans. If it doesent, then (assuming you are going the Tiico route)= , then along with all of you uneeded Diesel hardware you don't need, you= have an adaptor plate  to sell with it for someone with a WBX who wants to = do their own conversion.
What I am running my 1982 Vanagon with now is a 1995 2.0 Golf FI = engine with the 88-92 G-J Digifant ll FI system.The trans is a rebuilt 1983 Air-= cooled Vanagon unit.
I should mention it took three months to finish my conversion. = Original block was a 1.8. While switching to the 2.0, I added power steering to the= formerly Diesel Vanagon. You will like power steering -it's as impressive = as more horsepower.

Robert Keezer
1982 Westfalia
Seattle