Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 02:40:54 PM
Subject: insurance coverage?

Hi Volks,

I've been looking at my auto insurance premiums and want to cut cost.
I have full coverage on my '89 Westy from Liberty Mutual. Rate is
$448/year in a package that includes multiple vehicles and home
owners.

I'm thinking about down grading to liability with un/underinsured
driver protection. Now, I think I like my vehicle as well as anybody.
It is also in extremely good shape at 65K miles. The body was almost
perfect until I put two dings below the door on the passenger side. I
hadn't really thought about it until now, but the idea of turning it
in to insurance and having repairs done didn't seriously cross my
mind.

It's my mind-set that the money they would pay would be recouped many
times over by the higher premiums they would charge. That means I'm
paying for coverage I'm don't dare collect on. No, doesn't make sense
to me either. Also, if any substantial damage was sustained they might
total the bus and the games would begin.

How many of you actually utilize the insurance you're paying for, i.e.
having minor collision damage repaired? How did it affect your
premiums? How many go for liability only? Cost cutting is mandatory
for me right now. Maybe I should get the body work done before I
downgrade coverage? If so, I would like to be truthful and tell them
the damage was incurred in two separate incidences over a year ago.
Wonder how that would fly? I would appreciate any ideas or experiences
that might help out.

Many Thanks,

Fred
89 Westy