In my many excursions to VW wrecking yards I've always made it a = practice of; practicing some of my repairs on donor vehicles at the yards.
In removing the rear axle nut and the drive shaft (the one that has = the big nut 360 ft pounds torque) I've noticed that the grease in the rear wheel bearings is about the consistency of 90/120 weight transmission grease.
I'm thinking about removing my drive shafts, renewing the seals, = inspecting the bearings and lubricating the bearings. I've got 278K on my Westy and it= just seems practical that the least I can do at this mileage is an inspection.
What is the lubricant used in the rear wheel bearings?
These bearings seem to have an extraordinary life span but I still = feel committed to doing this inspection.

Stan Wilder
83 Westfalia Air Cooled