Most car (and vanagon) doors are designed to have water flow through them rather than being kept out.   So your question isn't why is water getting in, it's why isn't water getting out.  Look up at the bottom of the door for anything obstructing drain holes.
If nothing, you'll have to remove the door panel and look inside.  Gotta be something preventing the water from getting out.  The uphill part indicates that the plugged flow is probably at the rear of the door, or something moves to the rear when pointed uphill.

Gary

-------Original Message-------

Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 12:26:32 AM
Subject: More Water Runoff

I park my 85 Westy in my driveway, with the nose pointed up the hill (about a 15% grade).  Every time we get a heavy rain, the driver's door fills with water.  I go out after the rain and shake it out of the vent at the lower inside back edge of the door!  I have tried putting tape along the bottom of the windows, but it has no effect.  I am hard pressed to understand how this water is getting in.

Dave in KC
85 Westy
http://members.fortunecity.com/davebaker1