----- Original Message -----
From: Kenneth D = Lewis
To: bostneng@FCL-US.NET
Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Thursday, October 25, = 2001 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: B. Bobs 2.1 main = bearings, one more question

Bob;
        OK. I measured the = bearing ID( in the case) and the crank's OD. Subtraction should give me the = clearance. What is tolerance here? How about differences in orthaganol ID = measuments i.e. out-of-round?
        Anybody know of some = good WEB sites with this info?
TIA
Ken Lewis
http://Neksiwel.20m.com/

Ken
    I looked in the VW = without guesswork book for out of round (orthogonal) dimensions for the crank = rod and main journals it says the cranks on the type 1 and 4 engines can = be out of round as much as .0012 ths
I dont often see that kind of wear = on  2.1 cranks they are for the most part mint or junk. I would say that = the crank is ok if its less than .0005 ths small or out of round more = than that I would consider not using it. Regrinding has not been an option until the past few weeks I now have in = stock some .010 mains for a std case
    The 2.1 = blocks tend to shift and also get smaller at the center main bore. The 2.1 main = bearings are made with an huge oiling depression at the case seam. While thats = great for feeding the crank oil that makes it realy hard to get a good = reading at the parting line of the case with a bore gauge. I have not = found specs on the 2.1 cases in any of the crank spec books or the VW info. The 2.1 = case is often out of round as is the the 1.9 and the type 4 case due to the cases alignment dowel pins (not the main bearing dowel = pins) gaining some play over the years I have found that a block of wood and = a wack of the hammer can realign the case halfs so the measurements can = be taken. The main bearings can help (not cure) align the case as = the case is closed with the bearings in place. I have more than once seen the = bearing measurements show that the main bearing bore is still not round due to = the case shift. I would say that if you measure the main bearings in = the case with it torqued and they do not go lower than the minimum = clearance in any one place you are good to go. I would add to that statement = that it is realy hard to measure less than .001ths and be consistant every = time so check it more than once then check it the next day again.

Bob Donalds
http://www.bostonengine.com
as always all rights = reserved

I =