Have the studs replaced with the longer and correct studs. I have = never changed them on a VW but if they are like a GM it is quite simple. This = would be a time to do other brake & wheel bearing maintenance.
Is this true for others: you always need to do two other things to = be able to complete the one you need to do. :)

Tim O
Helloooo from Colorado Springs, Colorado! =
I have two '87 Vanagons, one nice but blown 2wd I'm now using for parts for = my newer '87 Syncro.
I want to swap the stock alloys from the 2wd with the = steels from the Synchro but the bolts are too short on the Syncro. I know = it's vain but they're so darn nice. How do I swap'em?
I found 4 Michelin LTX = 195-75-14 blems at Peerless and replaced the $25 el crappos someone = put on.
GREAT improvement in handling, but they sure look tiny on the = Syncro. Oh well.
I 'm going to have Jay (Jay's Bug House, Colo. Spgs.) = rebuild the Syncro engine soon for $2000 to $2200. It rattles as it winds out in = 1st and 2nd.  Any suggestions? He might take the nice blown 2wd as = partial trade.