Frank,

Your post is very interesting, although =  I need to read your explanation of BMEP more carefully as I must admit, my = non-engineering type brain doesn't quite comprehend the significance of = the single number for BMEP and just what it compares.

Does this mean the most heat derived from a given amount of fuel = (the same fuel??.)

I did notice some mistakes, however, in your representations of = the various Subaru 2.5L engines that, in the interest of posting accurate information to the list, you might wish to correct.  Not sure if = this moves their various placement up or down in your chart ....but regardless... = they should be accurate.

According to the info I'm able to find = so far,....ONLY  the 96 model year Subaru 2.5L develops its max torque = at 2800 rpm.   This engine, a DOHC version requiring premium fuel was = replaced in 97 with a SOHC version using regular fuel which develops its peak = torque higher in the rev range.

According to Subaru, the 97-98 = 2.5L (SOHC) produced its maximum torque of 162ft.lbs at 4000rpm (rather than at 2800 = rpm).

In 1999 Subaru introduced their so-called "Phase II" = engines (2.2L and 2.5L) which they touted as having much improved torque curves throughout the rpm range over previous years.  The published info = on the 1999-2001 2.5L is 166ft.lbs at 4000rpm, which doesn't look much = different to me, but I assume the torque curve for these engines is flatter with = higher torque kicking in at lower rpms.  I have not been able to find any = charts to verify their claims.

Unfortunately, performance graphs are extremely hard to find.  = Those of us with Subaru engines are not trying to keep any  secrets, as = you suggest.....I just can't find any graphs.   The only one I = have been able to find is the following one, which I believe to be for the 97-98 2.5L.

http:= //www.protekperformance.com/rv7/engine/dyno_graph.htm

The source is unverified.  This graph (if correct) does show a = rather attractive flat torgue line however ( for a normally aspirated gasoline = engine) with torque at only 1200rpm reaching 140ft.lbs and maxing at 162 at = 4000rpm, .......making most of the torque available in everyday driving situations.

Attached is the latest version of my best = attempts to compile info on Subaru engines from 1990 to the present = models.  The file is in Excel spreadsheet format.

I don't know what = impact these figures have on your BMEP chart but I think the info, to be useful = to the members of vanagon.com, should be accurate.

I have = no vested interest in pushing Subaru engines over any other choice.  I made = my decision based on my own unscientific research using the "seat of my pants".  Which (as you say "nonlinear tail" (scientific = instrument??)  had not yet  "desperately sensed the positive improvement = stimulated by....a ......stunning infusion of cash "

I continue to suggest that, in addition to charts and data, = prospective converters do the same "scientific investigation" and drive one of each = of the conversions being considered.....then make a choice.  There are = enough converted vans out there now that most should be able to do this.  = For me the smoothness of the engine, near silent idle, and easy reving = nature sold me and my "nonlinear tail".  Both of us were quite happy = with our experience of moving down the road quite briskly (at all speeds) in = a brick.

Also, regarding your posts to the SubaruVanagon = list,........... you were not (as you stated in your post), ......."caught and excised by = Warren as an unwelcome alien".........  I made a general post to the = list...not to you specifically....that it is the stated policy of the list that the = purpose of the list is to discuss the placement of Subaru engines into = Vanagons.  All parties receive this notice upon signing up for the list, that..... discussions of other engines or vehicles will be allowed = ...for a short while, ....but will eventually be referred to other = lists which were created for discussions of those engines and vehicles and where the = members will be interested in the info.

As the moderator of the SubaruVanagon list, it is my goal to keep = the list interesting and useful to the majority of the approximately 575 members.

Sincerely,

Warren Chapman
Moderator
SubaruVanagon Group