I think the answer lies in the pressure the little cylinders = contain.  That could be measured simply.  I have about 10 of those in my Westy = right now, resting safely inside an old Marine ammo case, but don't have the tool = to measure the pressure.
-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Cary Chiang
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 1:19 = PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: Propane tank = connecting to Black Cat heaters

I previously contacted Coleman customer service regarding attaching = the Black Cat to a bulk cylinder.  Although it can be done physically = with a hose, they were adamant against doing so.  Said that their = engineers tried it, and the high pressure "blew the head off".  I don't = know if they were using a 15 PSI regulator like which comes = on our Westys.  Even if the heater works without a flame, I don't think = anyone would want to risk a bulk tank full of highly explosive  propane = gas exhausting into their van without warning.  Perhaps a automatic = safety shut-off  valve can be plumbed into the gas line ahead of = the Black Cat.  Does anyone know what the PSI is of the propane disposable cylinders the heater is designed to use?

Cary

Do You Yahoo!?