Well, I'm concerned about that "drain back" problem.  Seems most of the Std. Golf / Jetta filters are intended for a near vertical position.  The stay full when the engine stops so they don't have to refill when it starts again.  How would I know if an aftermarket filter has a valve to prevent the drainback?

Our conversion is at about 5k. Been running dino oil 'til now.  I'm planning to make the switch to Mobil 1 as soon as I figure out the filter issue.

Gary
-------Original Message-------

From: G. Jetson
Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 09:00:27 PM
Subject: Re: TIICO- Oil Filters

Gary & list,
Is there some reason you guys can't use a high quality
aftermarket filter such as the Fram brand? They have
several versions that should be better than stock (who
makes the ones for VW anyway?). Just go get the ones
for all 1.8 & 2.0L VW's. They are usually the same.

List question on oil... When can you start using
synthetics on a new engine? Is there any reason not to
after break in? (3-4k) Lemme know,
Thanks,

=====
David Kelly