Just my personal experience:
My Audi wouldn't shift into 2nd gear, went from 1st eventually to = 3rd.  Somebody told me about transx.  I tried it, absolutely no = difference.  I adjusted the 2nd gear band and it worked for another = year.
Now its really dead.
-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Jim Henry
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 9:19 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: new to the list

jim,
many years ago, a very wise man told = me,  " Son, you probably need to rebuild that transmission, but = go over to Motor Bearings (friendly local flaps) and buy a can of TransX, a transmission filter, and enough fluid to change your fluid. If it = doesn't work, the TransX folks will give your money back."  I did and = drove that transmission (early 70's chyrsler/amc) for 150k more miles, repeating = the process every 30k miles. Cannot say I have direct VW experience with = your problem, but I still follow the man's advise.

Good luck, drive well.

Jim Henry
Durham, NC
84 westy

Jim Morgan wrote:

I am new so please be kind. I have a = 86 GL that I have recently purchased from a friend. Only 193k on it. now the = automatic trans  will not go into reverse when it is cold . Will go in = all forward gears ok and reverse when warmed up. the bently is usless . I   figure it is trans time but would like to know what is = wrong before we do the transplant. Any info or prayers would be = appreciated.