Hi Guys:

First of all, I'd like to thank list = members for their
incredible support, and for not writing = what must have been
on everyone's mind...

While I was not able to communicate = very well from on the road,
I'd now like to take the time to thank = Ed, Rachel, Jerry, Steve,
Tom, Phaedra, Bill and KARL for their = advice, encouragement
and, in the case of the = latter, competent investigation/diagnosis of the sick
van. Thanks = especially also to the person who alerted Karl!!!
If I have forgotten to mention anyone, = please forgive me;
I am now juggling messages on two computers...

Not to mention that I am still fuming. = While it has been suggested
that I sue [PO, the shop] I accept full = responsibility for my
less than stellar decisions (both in = the process of purchasing the
thing and on the road). But I thought I = had good advice from the
shop...

Overall, things could have been much = worse (e.g., I could have been rear
ended by one of the many big rigs = trying to get home on Friday night on the
Penna Turnpike, I could have broken down nowhere near Karl's shop, he might
have thought it was more important to = get moved, this list might not have =
existed...). Instead, it was sunny, = people were helpful, nobody was
hurt in the process (other than the = van), and except major communications
problem with the cell and long distance = phone/e-mail communication, everything
worked out OK.

So, now I have an '82 Diesel Westy in = VA that needs a new head and some creative
improvements made by the PO's reversed = (aftermarket turbo...Karl knows a lot more =
about this) and sits in Karl's = brother's drive.
I have to decide what I want to do - = while I think the van is in good shape (though grungy)
and it would be worth investing some = more money in it, I have some reservations:

1. I do not know of a reliable shop (or = any at all) that will work on these in IL (my concern:
maintenance in the future, even if/when = Karl does the work).
2. Karl will not have time until the = spring; I'd rather not have the vehicle sit that long/not being able to use it. = Anyone have any ideas about getting it here so I can at least work on the inside etc.?
3. Other than fixing this engine (which = Karl seems to think is a viable option and should cost me about $1,000), should I = go for a bigger engine? I did get to ride in Karl's van which is awesome, but I = don't need that kind of performance. I am after the (supposed) longevity, fuel = economy, and "torque rather than top end speed" of a Diesel I admit my = Diesel experience is limited to Mercedes).
Should I retain the aftermarket turbo = (which Karl seemed to think definitely improved the performance of the engine, = compared to regular Diesels).
4. Does anyone want to buy it before I = start sinking money by the grand into it (I wouldn't do any of the serious = work myself; so I have to pay for it - retail) and before I get attached to = it (getting close)?
5. Any other words of = wisdom?

Thanks again,
Teresa