In a message dated 11/13/2001 8:32:30 PM Eastern Standard Ti= me, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

I have always thought that one = of the vulnerabilities of the vanagon is the
easy access to the oil filler from behind the license plate. If someone
wanted to they could make a mess of an engine with little effort. has anyone=
tried securing this flap?

       Two solutions I know about.  Looki= ng through the ETKA the other day for some obscure part, I came across an op= tional locking device for the rear license plate hatch, complete with key lo= ck.  Other solution I have seen is to make a metal tab which is bolted/= welded/rivited to the licence plate hatch which will be trapped under the lo= wer edge of the main rear hatch when closed.
       Third option would be to move to a safe= neighbourhood if you can find one !

Peace

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a VW C= amper camping event, Almonte, ON, May 30, 31, June 1, 2, 2002
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless= Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli & = Associates or http://frankcondelli.com