What did you find out about the problem listed below?
Perhaps you've  posted your findings but I missed them.

Thanks
Stan Wilder
83 Westfalia Air Cooled

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:28:46 EST Mike Galoob <Galoobs@AOL.COM> writes:
I recently pulled the = engine from my 81 westfalia in hopes of repairing the severe oil leakage that it = suffered from. The engine had been rebuilt one before for the previous owner. The = van had been sitting idle for a few months when I went to start it to = maneuver it into a suitable location for engine removal. When cranked the engine = wouldn't turn over even with a jump. I could hear the starter functioning and was= immediately suspicious of seizure. After removing the engine I tried = rotating the crankshaft with a wrench. The engine will rotate through about 300 = degrees but there is a point that the shaft will not rotate past from either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. This is the case even with one = side's head and push rods removed. I haven't removed the other side yet. Is this= an "engine seizure" and if so do these symptoms indicate a specific = condition? What should I do to assess the "rebuildability" of the engine? What are = my replacement options for a portion or entirety of the engine? I prefer to= attempt any work do be on it myself and of course at a minimum expense. Thanks,

Mike Galoob
Jamestown, RI