From: Andrew = Grebneff
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, = 2001 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: security

I have always thought that one of the vulnerabilities of the = vanagon is the
easy access to the oil filler from behind the license plate. If = someone
wanted to they could make a mess of an engine with little = effort. has anyone
tried securing this = flap?

       Two solutions I know about.  Looking through the ETKA the other day = for some obscure part, I came across an optional locking device for the rear = license plate hatch, complete with key lock.  Other solution I have seen = is to make a metal tab which is bolted/welded/rivited to the licence plate = hatch which will be trapped under the lower edge of the main rear hatch when = closed.
       Third option would be to = move to a safe neighbourhood if you can find one !

You COULD always fit am electric (solenoid-operated) lock to it, = operated from a dash switch. This could be tied into the central locking on = vehicles so equipped.